The Atlantic KET Med consortium brings together some of the top technical resources in Europe’s Atlantic Area. A combination of fundamental research and contract industrial work enables the AKM consortium to support enterprises at every stage of technology development and production.
As a part of the AKM project a number of participating companies will be offered the opportunity to access these technical facilities to help bring their competitive new product concept towards market. Access will be dependent on completion of other project activities such as Innovation Audits and Value Chain Analysis. Technical resources include:
Laser Based Metal Powder Bed Fusion System – 3D Systems ProX™ 100
Laser-enabled Printed Electronics & Printed Biomaterials pilot line – Three module pilot production system featuring: 1)Laser Scanned Mask Imaging for Laser micro-structuring 2) Spray, Inkjet, Laser Processing for printing, spray coating & inspection 3) Spray, Micro-dispensing, Incubation for Biomaterial deposition
- 80 m2 ISO Class 7 clean room
- 400 m2 laboratory space
- Video conferencing suite
- Short Pulse
- Nanosecond DPSS
- Long Pulse-CW
- Pulsed Nd:YAG
- Optical Surface Profilometry
- Scanning Electron Microscopy
- Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM)
- High Speed Imaging
- Confocal Raman & Spectral Emission Microscope
- Optical Microscopy
- IR Thermography
ADVANCED HIGH RESOLUTION FLUORESCENCE AND RAMAN MICROSCOPES
- Confocal Light Scanning Microscope (Life cell- option) (Zeiss LSM780)
- Wide Field Microscope (Life Cell – option) (Nikon Ti)
- Total Internal Reflection Microscopy (TIRF) ((Nikon Ti upgrade)
- Super Resolution Microscope – dSTORM (Nikon Ti upgrade)
- Confocal Raman Microscope (WiTec)
OTHER MICROSCOPES AND PHOTONICS-ENABLED TECHNOLOGIES
- Fluorescence Brightfield microscope (Nikon)
- Flow cytometer/Cell sorter (BioRad)
- Femtosecond Laser-Based Microfabrication (Spectra Physics Tsunami, Newport uFAB)
UNIQUE COMBINED IMAGING TECHNICS AT INL
- Combined mechanical and optical characterization: AFM/Differential Spinning Disk
- Fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy (FLIM) setup with single molecule sensitivity, suited for life cell observation, fluorescence anisotropy detection and suited for nanomedicine research such as the investigation of photothermal or hyperthermia therapy effects on cells
- Multiphoton/Second Harmonic Generation microscopy
- Spectral imaging ellipsometry
OPTICAL SPECTROSCOPY TECHNICS
- Fluorescence lifetime spectroscopy (TCSPC based)(ISS ChronosBH)
- Fluorescence anisotropy (ISS Chronos BH)
- Fluorescence lifetime and energy transfer detection (Streak camera based) (Hamamatsu)
- Circular Dichroism Spectroscopy (Jasco)
- FTIR spectroscopy (Bruker)
- Dynamic Light Scattering (Horiba)
- Fluorescence (Cross) Correlation Spectroscopy (F(C)CS) (as upgrade of the Zeiss LSM780)
- Ellipsometry coupled with Quartz Crystal Balamce
THIN FILM DEPOSITION AND MATERIAL GROWTH AREA
- Mutitarget Singulus sputtering tool for magnetic multilayers (Timaris MTM)
- Multitarget confocal sputtering tool (Kenosistec)
- Metallization Singulus sputtering tool for Al, TiW(N) and Al2O3 (Timaris FTM)
- EasyTube 3000 Graphene CVD furnace system
- SPTS MPX CVD system for oxides, oxi:nitrides and a-Si:H deposition
- PECVD (800ºC) systems for CNT and carbon layers deposition tool (MicroSys 400 from Roth & Rau Microsystems)
- Thin film silicon CVD system (hotwire and radio-frequency assisted, doped and intrinsic Si layers)
- Cu Electroplating (AMMT GmbH)
OPTICAL AND E-BEAM LITHOGRAPHY AREA
- E-beam lithography tool (Vistec 5200 ES 100 kV)
- Direct write laser lithography (Heidelberg DWL 2000)
- Mask aligner (Karl Suss MA BA model)
- Optical resist track (Karls Suss Gamma Cluster)
- E-beam resist track (Karls Suss Gamma Cluster)
- Multiple ovens, including vapor priming
- Coater and hotplates for substrates up to 300 mm (SCS/EMS)
ETCHING, ASHING, AND MICROMACHINING AREA
- Broad Beam ion milling with SIMS end point detect (Nordiko 7500)
- Fluorine based reactive ion etch system for oxides / nitrides (SPTS APS)
- Chlorine based reactive ion etch systems for metals (SPTS ICP)
- Silicon Deep reactive ion etching system (SPTS Pegasus)
- Plasma asher (PVA TEPLA M360)
- TMAH / KOH Si etch tanks (AMMT GmbH)
- Multiple fume hoods and wet benches for chemical processes (Quimipol)
- Oxide vapor etch release system (SPTS/PRIMAXX uEtch)
- XeF2 isotropic Si etch system (Xactic X4)
- Super critical CO2 point dryer (Tousimis)
ADVANCED PACKAGING, ANNEALING, AND BACK-END PROCESS AREA
- Chemical mechanical Planarization (Logitech ORBIS)
- Dicing saw (Disco DAD 3500)
- Wire Bonder / Aluminum Wedge, Pick and Place (TPT HB)
- Wire Bonder / Gold ball bond (TPT HB)
- CNC – High speed milling system (FlexiCAM )
- 3D printers (Makerbot and bQ WITBOX)
- Advanced desktop research printer (LP50 Roth & Rau B.V.)
- Plotter/cutter Silhouette Cameo 12″ (Fabriprint)
- Magnetic Annealer (TEL)
METROLOGY, INSPECTION AND WAFER-SCALE DEVICE TESTING AREA
- High resolution SEM (NanoSEM, FEI)
- Contact profilometer (KLA TENCOR P-16+)
- Resistivity mapper (AITCO)
- Optical profilometer/elipsometer (OPM hyperion with confocal sensor / Oceon Optics NanoCalc XR)
- Multiple automated wafer probers for electrical testing and others
- Manual and motorized optical microscopes for AOI
- Optical microsystem analyzer for MEMS (in-plane, out-of-plane and topography; Polytec MSA 500)
- Laser scanning vibrometer for MEMS (Polytec UHF-120, 1.2 GHz)
- Climate chamber (Weiss WKL, -70C to 180 C, 10 to 98% rel hum)
- Compact scanning benchtop probe microscope (Nanosurf Flex AFM)
ADVANCED ELECTRON MICROSCOPY
- X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy
- Dual FIB with UHREM SEM
- X-ray Thin Film/Reflectometry
- Atomic Force Microscope – Materials
- Environmental Scanning Electron Microscope (ESEM)
- Small Angle X-ray Scattering (SAXS)
- Atomic Force Microscope – BioScience
- Probe Corrected HRTEM
- Ultrahigh vacuum scanning probe microscope
- Molecular beam epitaxy system for Cu(In,Ga)Se2 materials
- FTIR Spectrometer
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- High field preclinical magnetic resonance unit (9.4 T);
- ParaVision®6 software;
- Bruker BIOSPEC 94/20 (gradient system of 440 mT / m);
- Surface coils for rat and mouse brain images;
- Volume coils for rat, mouse and small animals;
- Surface coil for rat / mouse heart images;
- Surface coil for 1H spectroscopy;
- Electrical stimulator for fMRI;
- Anesthetic system by inhalation, monitoring of respiration and temperature of
- animals (SA Instruments, Inc., USA).
- FACSAria IIu cytometry-sorting platform
- Laminar flow cabinets, incubators, centrifuges, fluorescence and confocal microscopy
Liquid Biopsy Analysis Unit
- CellSearch System (Silicon Biosystems, the only system approved by the FDA for quantification of CTCs),
- Parsortix system (Angle) for the antigen-independent isolation of CTCs.
- Digital PCR equipment (QX200, Biorad) that allows the study of point mutations, CNVs and small rearrangements as well as the performance of methylation studies.
- Veriti Dx Thermal Cycler 96-well Thermal Cycler (Applied Biosystems)
- Last generation Cytometer Cito6i Flow Cytometer (Partek).
- Micromanipulator (Leica) and basic equipment of a molecular biology laboratory (centrifuges, biological safety cabinets, PCR cabinets and equipment for cell culture).
- Leica SP8 confocal microscope
- DEParray system (Silicon Biosystems, managed by the IDIS Genomic Medicine Foundation)
- NexSeq sequencer (Illumina, from the IDIS Epigenomics unit).
- Access to tissue samples in freezing and / or included in paraffin, liquid samples, nucleic acids, etc.
- Access to the clinical information associated with the samples, always preserving the patient’s anonymity.
- Selection and dissection of areas of interest in tissues (normal cells, neoplastic population, etc.).
- Processing of tissue samples and histological and immunohistochemical stains.
- Nucleic acid extraction.
- Design and confection of tissue microarrays (tissue microarrays).
- Deposit, maintenance and custody of sample collections for projects and research groups.
- Prospective collection of samples according to the specific needs of certain projects.
- Access to the catalog of samples of the National Biobanks Network Platform.
- Ethical-legal advice.
- Scientific advice
- Leica TCS SP8 confocal microscope
Experimental Imaging Platform (UNIME)
- Albira microPET-CT (Bruker),
- microSPECT (Siemens)
- arterial blood sampling equipment (Swisstrace)
- NanoLC425 (Eksigent)
- TripleTOF 6600 (AbSciex)
- MALDI-TOF/TOF (4800 Analyzer, AbSciex)
Digital platform for direct molecular detection (Nanostring)
- Sub picosecond laser 100 W @ 1030 nm, 25 μJ, <1 ps
- Femtosecond laser 40 W @ 1030 nm, 40 μJ, 350 fs
- Femtosecond laser 20 W @ 1030 nm, 100 μJ, <350 fs
- Femtosecond laser 5.5 W @ 1030 nm, 1 mJ, <500 fs
- Femtosecond laser 4 W @ 1030 nm, 1 mJ, <500 fs
- Femtosecond laser 5 W @ 1030 nm, 10 μJ, 350 fs
- Picosecond laser 5 W @ 1064 nm, 10 ps
- SHG/THG module for femtosecond lasers
- Picosecond laser 50 W @ 1030 nm, 50 ps
- SHG/THG module for picosecond laser
- Fiber laser 80 W @ 1030 nm, 12 ns
- Fiber laser 30 W @ 515 nm, 12 ns
- Fiber laser 14 W @ 343 nm, 12 ns
- Vanadate laser 17 W @ 1064 nm, 35 ns
- Vanadate laser 4 W @ 355 nm, 35 ns
- Vanadate laser 1.6 W @ 266 nm, 35 ns
- YAG laser high energy, 1 J @ 532 nm, 10 Hz, 7 ns
- Fiber laser, 20 W @ 1030 nm, 100 ns
- Fiber laser 300 W @ 1070 nm,100 μs @ 10 ms
- Fiber laser 1200 W @ 1070 nm,100 μs @ 10 ms
- Fiber laser continuous wave, 25 W @ 1090 nm
- Machines and workstations for 3D micromachining (Lasea and SCANLAB scanners, Motorized stages from Newport IMS/RV series and Aerotech ALS/PRO series and ADRT/ACS series)
- Machine for precision machining (focused beam <5 μm) equipped with a hybrid hexapod from ALIO
- LS-scan Lasea 10 1030 nm scanner
- Galvo-scanner IntelliSCAN 1030 nm and 515 nm
- Galvo-scanner HurrySCAN II and III 1030 nm
- Galvo-scanner IntelliSCAN 343 nm
- Galvo-scanner ExcelliSCAN 1030 nm up to 20 m/s
- Polygonal IR/Green scanner, scanning speed up to 100 m/s
- Dynamic focus module
- IR cutting and drilling heads
- Cutting-edge optical components for beam shaping (top-hat profile and polarization converter)
- Evaluation and development of innovative optical systems
- Trepanning head for deep drilling and non-tapered applications
- 6 axis robotic arm field of 1x1m²
- Carterized on-the-fly drilling platform
- UV-Vis-IR micro cutting head
- Optical microscope with image analysis system
- Optical system for 3D surface measurement
- Measuring microscope with calculator
- Components for UV-Vis-NIR beam diagnostic
- Desktop scanning electron microscope (SEM)
- 3D reconstruction module for scanning electron microscope
- Measuring microscope with analysis software
- Goniometer for contact angle measurements
- Colorimeter in the visible range
- Full-spectrum (180-3600 nm) spectrophotometer equipped with integrating sphere
- Chainsaw, wrapper and polisher for metallographic analysis
- 4-point measuring stand for resistivity measurement
3D Printing in Plastics:
- Fortus 400 FDM 3D Printer – heating and extruding thermoplastic filament.
- Layer thickness – 0.330, 0.254, 0.178 & 0.127mm.
- Build tray size of (406 x 356 x 406 mm) x,y,z.
- Complex geometries and cavities that would otherwise be problematic.
- Production-grade thermoplastics are mechanically and environmentally stable.
- Tight tolerances, toughness – or specialised properties like electrostatic dissipation, translucence, biocompatibility, UV resistance, or flammability ratings.
Objet Connex 350 Multi-Material 3D Printer –
- Jet layers of curable liquid photopolymer onto a build tray.
- 16-micron, high-resolution layers ensure smooth surfaces and fine details.
- Build tray size of 350x350x200 mm – ideal for a wide range of parts and
- Create smooth, detailed prototypes that convey final-product aesthetics.
- Produce short-run manufacturing tools, jigs and assembly fixtures.
- Produce complex shapes, intricate details and smooth surfaces.
- Incorporate colour and diverse material properties into one model with the greatest material versatility available.
3D Printing in Metals:
- Concept LASER MLab Metal 3D Printer – Selective Laser Sintering or melting process, use of laser to convert powdered metal into fully dense parts.
- Layer thickness LaserCUSING® 15 – 50 μm.
- Build envelope LaserCUSING® 90 x 90 mm (x, y) z = 80 mm
- CL 20ES Stainless steel (1.4404)
- remanium® star CL Cobalt-chromium alloy (by Dentaurum)
- rematitan® CL Titanium alloy (by Dentaurum)
- CL 41TI ELI Titanium alloy (TiAl6V4 ELI)
- CL 42TI** Pure titanium Grade 2
- CL 80CU (Bronze)
- Yellow gold (18 carat)
- Silver alloy (930‰ Silver powder)
- Freedom of geometry thanks to digitised manufacturing process.
- Shortened development time because conventional processes do not have to be used. Shorter reworking time, up to 50% time saving compared with casting.
3D Laser Scanning for reverse engineering
- FARO Edge Scan Arm – contact/non-contact measurement system.
- Accuracy: ±25μm (±.001in)
- Repeatability: 25μm, 2σ (.001in)
- Stand-off: 115mm (4.5in)
- Depth of Field: 115mm (4.5in)
- Effective Scan width: Near Field 80mm (3.1in), Far Field 150mm (5.9in)
- Points per line: 2,000 points/line
- Minimum Point Spacing: 40μm (.0015in)
- Scan Rate: 280 frames/second, 280fps x 2,000 points/line = 560,000 points/sec
- Ideal for product development, inspection, and quality control and offers capabilities such as point-cloud comparison with CAD, rapid prototyping, reverse engineering, and 3D modelling of free-form surfaces.
- Rapid scanning speed, extra-wide scan stripe and fast frame rate that provides expanded coverage and rapid point-cloud collection
- High definition 2,000 actual points per scan line and the new blue laser featuring noise-reduction technology.
Use of CAD for concept design and manufacture
- Materialise Magics – A versatile, industry-leading data preparation and STL editor software for AM that allows you to convert files to STL, repair errors, edit your design and prepare your build platform
- SpaceClaim – 3D Modelling Software Solves Geometry Problems Fast
- AutoCad – A computer-aided drafting software program used to create blueprints for buildings, bridges, and computer chips,
- Solid Edge –3D CAD, parametric feature and synchronous technology solid modelling software. It runs on Microsoft Windows and provides solid modelling, assembly modelling and 2D orthographic view functionality for mechanical designers
- Creo – is a family or suite of Computer-aided design apps supporting product design for discrete manufacturers and is developed by PTC.